Re: [exim] Certified Server Validation/Client SMTP Validatio…

Autor: Ian Eiloart
A: John Horne, Exim users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Certified Server Validation/Client SMTP Validation (CSV)?

--On 15 February 2010 13:37:53 +0000 John Horne <john.horne@???>
wrote:

> On Mon, 2010-02-15 at 13:16 +0000, Jasper Wallace wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've been wondering about deploying CSV records and was wondering if
>> anyone was using it and if anyone has any idea about how widely it's
>> been deployed?
>>
> Hello,
>
> Yes, we use it but I don't think it is widely deployed.
>
> Stats from one of our mailhubs for today so far shows:
>
>     Sending host HELO failed CSA            488     (No. of domains: 2)

These include sites claiming to be you. Presumably, then, there's only one
other domain publishing records. Of course, you don't need CSA to determine
whether the email is from you.

>     CSA check gave a temporary error:       862

Can you reject these? Are they sites with faulty DNS?

>     CSA success:                            0       (No. of domains: 0)

And nobody sending you legitimate email is using it.

> So, it is rejecting sites, although the CSA successes seems to indicate
> that it is not used that much (at least for the mail we have received
> today)! Most of the CSA failures are for sites claiming to be us.

So, not a lot of value all in all. Do you also use SPF?

--
Ian Eiloart
IT Services, University of Sussex