Re: [exim] Mailing List Email without 'To:'

Páxina inicial
Borrar esta mensaxe
Responder a esta mensaxe
Autor: Richard Clayton
Para: Always Learning
CC: Exim Users
Asunto: Re: [exim] Mailing List Email without 'To:'
In message <2010-01-29.15-02-55.7906BE97@relay>, Always Learning
<exim.users@???> writes

>One of our Exim servers has rejected an Exim mailing list email because
>it had no 'To:' header.

Your server, your rules... but it does seem unwise to reject properly
formatted email...

See RFC5322

    The only required header fields are the origination date field and
    the originator address field(s).

>Should the mailing list always insert a To: header if one is missing ?

Certainly not -- messing with header fields will always end in tears.

Exim, BTW, is often configured to add Message IDs... that's for
practical reasons. Similar practical reasons do not apply to adding To:
or cc: fields (recall that messages may be entirely bcc'd !)

People will presumably point out that missing Subject: lines, Message
IDs etc are indicative of spam. Their server, their rules :)

- --
richard                                                   Richard Clayton

Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin 11 Nov 1755