Re: [exim] Disable SSL but have SMTP-AUTH

Author: Phil Pennock
To: Rick Boucher
CC: Exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Disable SSL but have SMTP-AUTH
On 2010-01-22 at 11:16 -0800, Rick Boucher wrote:
> I have exim running 4.63-3.el5 on centos.
>

> Currently I have SMTP-AUTH w/SSL available on port 465 for roaming users.
> Is there a way to disable SSL as the Certificate is problem.

Use the submission port, 587, in which TLS is set up after the
connection is already up, in response to a STARTTLS command, and you can
choose to not advertise STARTTLS.

Port 465 is SSL-on-connect and more stuff will break if you disable SSL
there.

Some client software doesn't deal well with using the Submission port --
it's ancient software and today, if submission/587 is not supported, you
should consider the software unmaintained. 587 is the standard for
remote access to send mail (RFC 4409).

You could try fixing the certificate instead, though.

-Phil