Re: [exim] Deleting a mail that is busy sending

Top Pagina
Auteur: Alain Williams
Aan: Ian Coetzee
CC: exim-users
Onderwerp: Re: [exim] Deleting a mail that is busy sending
On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 05:18:02PM +0200, Ian Coetzee wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 5:14 PM, Alain Williams <addw@???> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 04:22:14PM +0200, Ian Coetzee wrote:
> > > Hi all
> > >
> > > I have a question I need answering
> > >
> > > I have an exim mailserver
> > >
> > > Sometimes the users tend to get a littlebit overzealous with sending big
> > > mails, I have set up limits to limit the size of the mail to 6M. They
> > > sometimes try to send a 2M email to 300 rcpts. (overestimating)
> >
> > All too frequently happens, people have no concept as to size and have no
> > interested in learning -- it is someone else's problem.
> > They also don't care about filling other people's mail boxes, and most
> > of what they send won't be looked at anyway.
> >
> > One solution that I came up with is linked to below. It is a perl script
> > that
> > is hooked into exim. The user sends mail with an attachment(s) to a
> > specific
> > address, they get a ftp URL(s) back that they can then put into emails.
> > The file is thrown away after a month. There is a bit more to it than that:
> >
> >        http://www.phcomp.co.uk/Packages/MailToUrl.html

> Thank you for the link I would definitely pass it on to the boss as a
> suggestion

What you can see is the README automatically extracted from the package,
it doesn't say much about what it can do, I have just added:

Other Features
**************

* The attachments will be automatically removed from the web/ftp site after a specified
time; default 1 month
* Auto delete (purge) attachments (files) beyond an expiry date
* Users can be warned a settable number of days before their files will be purged
* Different attachments can have different expire times
* Allow the original sender of an attachment to remove (delete) the attachment
* Allow users to list what files are in the archive
* Allow users to remove files that they put up
* Enforce minimum and maximum attachment sizes
* Enforce a quota -- maximum amount of disk space used by all of the attachments
* Attachment names are filtered to avoid problems that strange characters can cause
Alpha Numeric and '.' and '-' (no spaces), max 32 characters
* Nominated administrators can, via email, modify file size parameters, file retention
dates and remove any file
* The service is restricted to a list of email addresses
* The list of users can be be built automatically, eg from members of a mailman list
* Activity is recorded in a log file

--
Alain Williams
+44 (0) 787 668 0256 http://www.phcomp.co.uk/