Re: [exim] 2GB limitation on Solaris

Autor: W B Hacker
A: exim users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] 2GB limitation on Solaris
Juan Bernhard wrote:
> Hi, I'm having a rare error when a mbox file reaches 2GB. I think that
> the problem is the solaris because I installed the same exim (same
> configure and Local/Makefile) on a freebsd platform and worked fine. But
> I need to know what "defer(27)" exactly means to debug the solaris
> problem. Or, if someone had the same problem and found a solution,
> please tell me!

*SNIP* (specifics)

I use mbox format only for what is for all intents and purposes 'modify-never'
storage, such as mailing list archives, have not had the problem (UFS2/FFS2
*BSD) up to 3.8 GB and counting - though Exim is not involved in that specific
case, and I only fire-up Slowlaris a few times a year.

But = regardless of OS - the 'cheap' way out - especially if your IMAP daemon is
comfortable with either (as Dovecot is, to name one of several) might be to
switch Exim to writing into Maildir format. It can auto-create new structures,
and only the POP/IMAP daemon cares about older messages, so they can be scripted
into place.

Dovecot will in turn pick up the ball w/r creating its indices et al if/as/when
it finds the 'basic' Maildir structure Exim (or your migration script) has created.

CAVEAT: While space is less of an issue with Maildir, the spearate-file per
message architecture means that on very large HDD or arrays, one *can*, in some
circumstances, run out of inode's before running out of actual space 'sooner'
than with mbox format.

There are other pros and cons to each storage format, so 'YMMV' - but it is
easily tested, and, with an 'unseen' router/transport set, side-by-side, even,
should you wish to trial that for relative speed, resource-load, etc.

HTH,

Bill