Re: [exim-dev] RCPT TO verification

Author: Graeme Fowler
To: exim-dev
Subject: Re: [exim-dev] RCPT TO verification
On Thu, 2010-01-07 at 14:26 +0000, Graeme Fowler wrote:
> I hope you see why arbitrary Sender Address Verification (SAV) is widely
> considered to be a bad thing. It's a very useful technique in
> loosely-coupled systems, but not across the Internet as a whole.

I also forgot - this technique exists within Sendmail, Postfix and many
other pieces of MTA software. I suspect you're seeing it more frequently
from Exim-based hosts, however, because Exim is the MTA of choice in
several web/email hosting management applications, and there's a simple
checkbox to turn this option on. Users of said software tend to do it
without understanding the consequences.

Graeme