Re: [pcre-dev] (*MARK)

Author: Philip Hazel
To: ND
CC: Pcre-dev
Subject: Re: [pcre-dev] (*MARK)
On Tue, 5 Jan 2010, ND wrote:

> My regexps deals with a HUGE subject strings. A (*MARK) backtracking
> control can significantly speedup this process.
> Why this useful Perl feature is not implemented in PCRE?

Because it isn't straightforward. For a start, there is nowhere to
remember the potentially many *MARK positions, though I suppose it could
be done by recursive function calls. That, I fancy, might slow down
things rather than speed them up.

Secondly, there is no interface to pass back the names on success or
failure (corresponding to the $REGERROR and $REGMARK variables that Perl
uses). I suppose the pcre_extra data block might be extended to handle
this.

> Add this control, please.

I have noted this, but do not expect anything to happen soon. The next
release will be bug fixes only.

Philip

--
Philip Hazel