Re: [exim] Spool collecting but not sending

Autor: Phil Pennock
A: Frank DeChellis
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Spool collecting but not sending
On 2010-01-02 at 08:07 -0500, Frank DeChellis wrote:
> Thanks for the tip. So I ran it in debug, it starts the queue-runner every
> minute with no error messages. And the messages remain in the queue until I
> run a manual -qff to send the messages.
>
> Is there a setting that tells queue-runner where the queue is? I ask
> because thereis one message in the log below that says "privilege lost for
> -C" .

Privilege lost: you need to invoke as root (loosely speaking), because
otherwise it becomes dangerous for a setuid program to be pointed at an
arbitrary config file.

Where the queue is: yes, spool_directory.

A (hopefully) useful tip when you're moving things: exim -bP | grep

exim -bP prints all the main configuration options and their values
(unless hidden, in which case you need to be an admin user to see them).
It has various sub-options to list transports, etc. It prints the
current value, even if not explicitly configured, so will show defaults.

So if you're relocating the spool from /var/spool/exim and the logs from
/var/log/exim then:

  $ exim -bP | egrep '/var/(spool|log)/exim'
  log_file_path = /var/log/exim/%slog-%D
  spool_directory = /var/spool/exim
  $ exim -bP transports        | egrep '/var/(spool|log)/exim'
  $ exim -bP routers        | egrep '/var/(spool|log)/exim'
  $ exim -bP authenticators    | egrep '/var/(spool|log)/exim'
  $ exim -bP macros        | egrep '/var/(spool|log)/exim'
  $

'macros' is only available in 4.70 onwards and you need to be an admin
user for that, too.

-Phil