[exim] 421 SMTP incoming data timeout - Message body lacks '…

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Brent Bloxam
To: exim-users
Betreff: [exim] 421 SMTP incoming data timeout - Message body lacks '\n'
I'm trying to figure out how this issue is occurring and how to stop it.
Somehow messages are getting into our inbound Exim spool without any \n
at the end. When our outbound Exim process tries to deliver these mails,
they fail as Exim outputs '.' on the same line as the one it just sent.
I've verified this by capturing the SMTP conversation from both sides
with tcpdump

tcpdump shows the following being sent at the end:

> <!--www.https://example.com--><!--www.https://example.com-->.

Eventually the receiving MTA responds

> 421 Lost incoming connection

Passing the message in the spool through `od`, I see

> 0011700    e   .   c   o   m   -   -   >

No \ns. These messages getting stuck in the spool seem to only ever be
spam. What I see in the outbound log,

> /var/log/exim/eximout.log:2009-12-21 08:00:00 1NLolk-0003aD-3V == email@???
> R=Storage T=Storage defer (-46): SMTP error from remote mail server after end of
> data: host 192.168.1.3 [192.168.1.3]: 421 mda.local SMTP incoming data timeout -
> closing connection.

Does anyone have any ideas? "message_suffix" sounded like it would have
been a good bandaid, but it only applies to appendfile and pipe.