Re: [exim] Configuring mailbox quotas on large servers

Author: Todd Lyons
To: Andy Smith
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Configuring mailbox quotas on large servers
On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 9:59 AM, Andy Smith <a.smith@???> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>   yes, the NetApp model is more or less what I was thinking of. I
> dont have a server implementation yet, Im looking at what is feasible.
> My idea is an NFS store with the maildirs, with multiple Exim SMTP
> servers connected and some POP3/IMAP/webmail servers sitting behind a
> network load balancer.
> As per my first mail, my concern is how I can achieve some kind of
> quotas on such a large number of mailboxes....

We use courier maildrop to do the maildir delivery. You configure
"courier-authlib" properly so that it gets its maildir and quota
information for a virtual user from one of LDAP, or MySQL, etc. The
maildrop process simply talks to the courier-authlib process to get
that info. When it then attempts to deliver, it creates/adjusts a
maildirsize file with the quota setting and current mailbox size,
refusing to deliver if the maildir is over its assigned quota.

Integration with Exim is pretty easy.  I use it on an older sendmail
system, and am refining it with a development box of Exim.
--
Regards...      Todd
The best thing about pair programming is that you have the perfect