Re: [exim] Remote smtp recipient local part verification in …

Author: Phil Pennock
To: James Price
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Remote smtp recipient local part verification in a router
On 2009-11-24 at 16:13 -0600, James Price wrote:
> the router below. I was hoping verify_recipient was the condition I was
> looking for. If true, let it through, if false move on to the next
> router. This doesn't seem to work, it allows it through. So my

SMTP transports by default verify that the destination is theoretically
reachable (DNS exists) but do nothing to speak SMTP.

In your RCPT ACL, you should have a line about "require verify =
recipient". Double-check that all mail to *remote*/external is handled
before that, and use "require verify = recipient/callout".

Do *not* do recipient callouts for mail to outside your domain -- double
SMTP connections for every mail you send out are likely to be frowned
upon. In the default config, the "require verify = recipient" check
comes *after* the "relay not permitted" logic; if you're using something
like the default, you should be safe to just add the "/callout".

-Phil