Re: [exim] temp_errors with negative values

Author: Phil Pennock
To: Øyvind Kolbu
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] temp_errors with negative values
On 2009-11-20 at 15:59 +0100, Øyvind Kolbu wrote:
> Does temp_errors support negative values? I'd like to add -1 to temp_errors, which
> is a value sympa might return. As far as I could read the code it does not,

No, programs are constrained to return [0,255] on Unix systems.

> 2009-11-20 13:41:31 1NBSnr-0007gL-Hc failed to read delivery status for |/uio/lister-test/sympa/bin/queue renamed@???:renamed@??? from delivery subprocess
> 2009-11-20 13:41:31 1NBSnr-0007gL-Hc pipe transport process returned non-zero status 0x0100: exit code 1

The 0x0100 is the entire response of wait(), which combines exit code
and signal status and more. The bit you should care about is the "exit
code 1" at the end.

The value you need to add to the temp_errors list is "1", not "-1".

> 2009-11-20 13:41:31 1NBSnr-0007gL-Hc == |/uio/lister-test/sympa/bin/queue renamed@??? <renamed@???> R=sympa_queue T=sympa_pipe defer (-1)

The -1 there is Exim's ERRNO_UNKNOWNERROR, being negative to avoid the
system errno values (positive). For various errors, there would have
been a more informative message there. In English, that's called a "red
herring". Sorry, you were led astray in an understandable way.

-Phil