Re: [exim] Grey listing problem

Author: Andrew
To: Alexandre NEY
CC: exim-users@exim.org
Subject: Re: [exim] Grey listing problem
Alexandre NEY wrote:
> Aha true thanks Andrew !
>
> But the user does not receive the mail in the end (probably because of those weirdly configured MX for this domain)

I see, well this really isn't your issue any more, its been delivered
successfully, what the users ISP does with it is out of your hands.
The user should be talking about it to their IT admin.

> Why does exim try the secondary MX, shouldn't it try the primary MX an hour later or something ?

What would be the point of having backup MX servers then?
Mostly I use backup MX servers for when the primary server gets too
overloaded (e.g. spam/virus surge), the backup then accepts the mail,
and then once the primary server is no longer overloaded, all the email
sitting on the backup gets fired off to the primary server within a
couple of minutes (due to some changing of the retry rules). This way
the end users don't have to wait for the sending server to reattempt to
send the email, which may be several hours (depending on the server
software).

What the user should be doing is removing the ISP's mail servers from
their MX records, as having them there defeats the purpose of using grey
listing in the first place.

Cheers
Andrew