Re: [exim] exim pcre match question

Author: Phil Pennock
To: Vasiliy G Tolstov
CC: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] exim pcre match question
On 2009-11-10 at 18:04 +0300, Vasiliy G Tolstov wrote:
> Hello.
> I have this regular expression to check Message-Id header
> [\S]+@(?:[a-z0-9](?:[a-z0-9-]*[a-z0-9])?\.)+[a-z0-9](?:[a-z0-9-]*[a-z0-9])?
>
> (* before @ and two words separated with dot after @)
>
>   deny          condition               = ${if match
> {$h_Message-Id:}{[\S]+@(?:[a-z0-9](?:[a-z0-9-]*[a-z0-9])?\.)+[a-z0-9](?:[a-z0-9-]*[a-z0-9])?} {1}}
>                 message                 = X-ACL-DATA: Invalid Message-Id
>                 log_message             = X-ACL-DATA: Invalid Message-Id

> But if a send e-mail with aaa@test and aaa@??? all messages passed
> by this acl and delivery.
>
> pcretest work's fine with this expression

You need to wrap the regexp in \N....\N to protect escape sequences
inside it. Otherwise, the "\." is interpreted at the Exim string
expansion layer and becomes just "." in the regexp.

Generally, you can test by starting a test Exim daemon on a different
port, with debugging turned on via -d; you can test the string expansion
with -d+expand for more information. Eg, in one terminal run:

exim -d+expand -oX 26 -bd

and then connect to port 26 in a different window and type/paste in the
SMTP dialogue to send your test message.

Regards,
-Phil