Re: [exim] exim front-end to barracuda

Author: Mike Cardwell
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] exim front-end to barracuda
Jay Parker wrote:

>>> We have been using a Barracuda spam appliance delivering to a local mail
>>> system, and are migrating to hosting user email with Google Apps. We
>>> will be migrating users gradually, and [...] decided to point our MX records to
>>> a "front-end" exim box that could do LDAP lookups for recipient
>>> addresses and send email either directly to Google Apps or to the local
>>> system via the Barracuda.
>> Why not ask Barracuda to forward some of the emails they receive to
>> Google, and skip the local router?
>
> The Barracuda appliance can't do routing based on the local-part, only
> based on the domain. So whatever it does, it does for our whole email
> domain (subject to individual user preferences). Hence my desire to
> front-end it with something more flexible...

Why don't you just switch the two servers around so mail hits the
Barracuda box first, which then passes it on to the Exim box, which then
decides if the mail should end up at Google Apps or your local mail
system...?

--
Mike Cardwell - IT Consultant and LAMP developer
Cardwell IT Ltd. (UK Reg'd Company #06920226) http://cardwellit.com/