Re: [pcre-dev] website misnomer

Author: Jose-Marcio Martins da Cruz
To: David Grundberg
CC: PCRE Developers
Subject: Re: [pcre-dev] website misnomer
David Grundberg wrote:

>> I noticed it, and, while I didn't personally find the original
>> statement confusing, I agree "proprietary" is more precise than
>> "commercial," and have made the change as David suggested. Thanks for
>> the feedback!
>>
>> Humbly,
>>
>> Andrew
>

> I'm glad to hear this. The problem with the word commercial is that
> almost all software can be used for commercial purposes, with some
> exceptions (I think MAME could be one). Whether software is free or
> proprietary is an orthogonal question to whether it is commercial or not.

Hmmmm.... A very interesting point of view (Stallman) was published in
June issue of Communications of the ACM :

Stallman, R. 2009. Viewpoint Why "open source" misses the point of free
software. Commun. ACM 52, 6 (Jun. 2009), 31-33. DOI=
http://doi.acm.org/10.1145/1516046.1516058

http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1516046.1516058&coll=ACM&dl=ACM&idx=J79&part=magazine&WantType=Magazines&title=Communications%20of%20the%20ACM&CFID=59042662&CFTOKEN=38826178

Access is controlled but this specific paper is GPLed.