Re: [exim] Backscatter & Sender callouts.

Author: Chris Wilson
To: Grant Peel
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Backscatter & Sender callouts.
Hi Grant,

On Wed, 28 Oct 2009, Grant Peel wrote:

> I am having a problem with a server getting listed on
> ips.backscatterer.org.

I'm not 100% sure that I understand the problem. Is it your server that's
getting listed on IBO or someone else's that you want to receive mail
from? And how does this relate to the next question:

> I have been researchng and reviewing the config shown below, but am not
> 'getting it'.
>
> I want to allow bounces to local addresses only.

This condition doesn't do that:

         deny    senders         = :
                 ! hosts         = +whitelist
                 dnslists        = ips.backscatterer.org
                 message         = This message looks like a bounce, and
your
server is listed at \

Probably you want to add:

         ! domains = +local_domains

> Also, I am not so sure I understand the verify / callback process vrs.
> the config below.

I don't see any callouts (verify = sender/callout or verify =
recipient/callout) in the config, so I'm guessing your Exim is doing the
default verification: validating local users, and validation remote
domains (but not users at those domains).

If you separated the verbs in your ACL it would be a little easier to
read.

Cheers, Chris.
--