Re: [exim] Autoresponder limit not working correctly

Author: Marten Lehmann
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Autoresponder limit not working correctly
Hello,

> You are using "to = $sender_address" for the auto-reply, right?

yes. My complete auto-reply section looks like this:

address_autoreply:
driver = autoreply
text = ${lookup ldap
{ldap:///cn=$local_part@$domain,ou=users,dc=mail,dc=mail?autoresponder}}
from = $local_part@$domain
subject = Re: ${rfc2047:$header_subject:} (autoresponse)
to = $sender_address
# to = $header_from:
headers = MIME-Version: 1.0\nContent-Type: text/plain;
charset=UTF-8\nContent-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
once = /vrmd/mailin/spool/once.db
once_repeat = 1d

> So that Exim is replying to the SMTP Envelope Sender?
> Which would make this impossible.

Why? I once heard that MTAs don't send an smtp envelope sender for
bounces and autoresponses. So when a foreign MTA is sending an
autoresponse to our MTA then the MAIL FROM (= $sender_address) is empty.
And I though that the autoreply driver wouldn't send any email when the
value for "to" is empty.

As you can see I once tried it with "$header_from:", but header_from
will typically always contain a value so it is impossible to find out
wether the email to be replied to is a bounce, autoresponse or a valid
email.

Seems that I am misunderstanding something, but I can't find any better
information in the documentation.

Kind regards
Marten