[exim-dev] Updates via git?

Author: John Horne
To: exim-dev
Subject: [exim-dev] Updates via git?
Hello,

I have finally managed to get round to reading up a little about using
'git'. I have a copy (clone) of the exim-doc repository, and 'git pull'
seems to work fine in getting the latest changes. If I change a file
locally and then run 'git commit -a' that too works fine in updating the
local repository.

The next step should be 'git push' to push the local commits out to the
master repository. However, as far as I can tell the exim docs are
actually maintained via CVS, and hence it is not possible to use the git
'push' command. Is that right? If so, then it is possible to use 'git
format-patch origin' to produce a local patch file. If it is not
possible to directly update the sources, then should I submit the patch
file via Exim's bugzilla instead?

I admit that an alternative is to use 'cvs commit' (given the rights),
but projects seem to be moving away from CVS and towards git so I took
the opportunity to find out about it.

John.

--
John Horne, University of Plymouth, UK
Tel: +44 (0)1752 587287    Fax: +44 (0)1752 587001