Re: [exim] exim expert needed

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] exim expert needed
evi nemeth wrote:
> hi exim-users --
>
> i am revising the email chapter of the unix/linux system administration
> handbook and
> trying to do an honest job covering the exim MTA, but i don't have much
> experience
> with exim.  i need an exim expert willing to read the generic sections of
> the email
> chapter and the exim specific sections and make sure that my coverage is:
>       1) accurate,
>       2) complete enough,
>       3) good advice and helpful.

> the whole chapter is about 100 pages, 20 of intro generic stuff, 40 of
> sendmail (cant
> seem to cut it down further), 10 of exim, 20 of postfix, and 10 or so of
> amavisd-new.
>
> thanks.
>
> -evi
> evi nemeth
> co-author: unix system administration handbook
>                 linux adminstration handbook

Well....

...as one of my ~/exim/configure files alone runs to 39 A4 pages....

Best you are going to be able to do in a 10-page count is to point folks to the
specific documentation on each of those critters, and explain why it really,
really needs to be read and understood. Exim has the best docs and debug
facility going, but there is a steep learning curve to make the best use of it.

Likewise the searchable mailing-list archives. Not to mention at least a list of
the (many) applicable RFC's. And a note to read the entire RFC, not just the
perts one likes..

;-)

All of that should fit the space you indicate, and would be helpful, as so few
newcomers (or old hands..) seem to bother reading any of the available material.

Especially helpful w/r Exim if you could highlight the different place to look
if using the Debian (and Ubuntu) 'exim4' split-configuration variation vs the
everyone-else standard monolithic ~/configure.

Side-issue, but not sure I'd give amavisd-new much of that scarce space if not
covering sendmail (still very, very widely deployed), not to mention ClamAV and
SpamAssassin, which I *suspect* are also more widely used than amavisd.

Then there are maildrop / procmail, various milters and filters .... how to do
smart relaying, configure to meet various MTA needs and deeds, MS Exchange and
other nasties one has to work to, zombie-blocking, blacklisting, DKIM ... more
spam filtering...

....one could easily do a thousand pages on administering mail tools alone.

JM2CW - it's your book...

Bill Hacker