Re: [pcre-dev] Multi segment matching using pcre_dfa_exec

Author: Eldar Kleiner
To: pcre-dev
Subject: Re: [pcre-dev] Multi segment matching using pcre_dfa_exec
Thanks for the detailed response.
Unfortunately, in our environment the caller does not control the buffers
and thus cannot solve the problem in the way you presented. This is also the
reason we chose pcre_dfa_exec() even after all enhancements in pcre_exec
that are introduced in 8.00 which I am currently testing.

Let me re-put what I was trying to suggest:

Suppose a new return value is introduce: PCRE_PARTIAL_ALTERNATIVE. This
value will be returned in cases of partial matches where the subject ends in
the alternative part of the re. In any other case of a partial match,
the regular PCRE_PARTIAL will be returned. This will allow the caller to
identify cases where matches across boundaries might be missed.

For example, suppose the subject is "xxxxmmmmaaammmxxxx" where xxxx does not
match the re, mmm matches the non alternative part and aaa matches the
alternative part of the re. If the subject is given in two buffers:
"xxxxmmm" and "maaammmxxxx" then PCRE_PARTIAL will be returned for the first
buffer and the caller can continue to the second buffer using the
PCRE_DFA_RESTART
options. Alternatively, if the subject is given in the following two
buffers: "xxxxmmmma" and "aammmxxxx", the caller will get the
PCRE_PARTIAL_ALTERNATIVE return code. In such a case the caller can
construct a temp buffer "mmmmaaam" (by copying the end of the first buffer
and the start of the second) as the longest part of the alternative part of
the re is known. For the temp buffer PCRE_PARTIAL will be returned and then
the caller can continue scanning the second buffer from the right offset (3
in our example) and find the match. This will limit the amount of copying in
envs where the techniques you demonstrated is not possible.

Another enhancement might be to return PCRE_PARTIAL_ALTERNATIVE only when
the alternative part is problematic (i.e. non-anchored and so on..). This
can probably be computed in compile time.

Thanks again,
E.