Re: [exim] exim and sieve filters

Author: Roel Schroeven
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] exim and sieve filters
Mark de Vries schreef:
> Roel Schroeven wrote:
>> Mark de Vries schreef:

>>> So, to avoid confusion, you are using a sieve filter in dovecot, and not
>>> the exim sieve filter capabilities, right? If so...
>> No, I'm trying to use a the sieve filter from exim, not from dovecot.
>> Though I'm starting to think that it might be best to switch to dovecot
>> for delivering and filtering mail.
>
> Hmm, the reason I assumed dovecot is because the sieve filter in exim
> can't "addflag"... So if that's what you want to do then I think you
> don't have much choice but to do the sieve filtering in dovecot.

Ah, I didn't know that. The docs state

"A Sieve filter contains instructions in the Sieve format that is
defined by RFC 3028. As this is a standard format, Sieve filter files
may already be familiar to some users. Sieve files should also be
portable between different environments. However, the Exim filtering
facility contains more features [...]"

and

"However, for Sieve filters, only issues that relate to the Exim
implementation are discussed, since Sieve itself is described elsewhere."

which made me think that Exim would support addflag; Now that I look
better I see that RFC 3028 doesn't mention addflag.

One more reason to use dovecot deliver for Sieve filtering :)

--
The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge
faster than society gathers wisdom.

Roel Schroeven