Re: [exim] [OT] Webmail...

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] [OT] Webmail...
WJCarpenter wrote:
>> we're planning on "upgrading" from Squirrelmail to Roundcube these days,
>> as it looks a lot sleeker. Roundcube is more "desktop application like"
>> than Squirrelmail.
>>

> I've tried both of those. I agree that RC is "prettier". No question
> that SM has a vastly richer feature set, especially with its wealth of
> plugins. If you are just looking to provide a pleasant but basic
> interface, I would go for RC. If there are sophisticated users who
> might want to give things a real workout, I would go with SM.
>
> Over the years, I've looked at a lot of webmail interfaces (though very
> few of the not-free-as-in-beer packages) for my humble and eclectic user
> population. In a word, they are all a disappointment along at least one
> of the dimensions of (1) easy on the eyes, (2) rich feature set, (3)
> admin hassle. Most of them tend to be written in PHP and don't really
> integrate well with anything else you might happen to be running.
> (i.e., if you have some kind of web site logon, the best you can
> probably do is stash the raw credentials somewhere and hide the logon to
> the webmail interface.) There are a variety of webmail packages that
> will do whatever some random geek (i.e., the kind of person who reads
> this list :-)) would want, but these turn out to be surprisingly
> confusing to the non-geek population.
>
> If someone finds this holy grail of webmail interfaces, please do let us
> all know.

JM2CW, 'coz there ain't no 'one size fits all'.

But 'Prayer' gives us a higher performance to lower hassle ratio than anything
else we have used to date.

- As with Exim, compiled C, not [favorite flavor] interpreted.

- Http(s) daemon built-in,

- comfortable with external cache/fail-over front AND back ends, including
Perdition and such like.

Developed by David Carter at Cambridge, and definitely works well with Exim.

;-)

Also used by several other US, UK, Canadian Universities.