Re: [exim] multiple MTA tries

Author: Mike Cardwell
To: Exim Users List
Subject: Re: [exim] multiple MTA tries
On 02/09/2009 08:19, Rakotomandimby Mihamina wrote:

>> Why bother wasting CPU cycles with "try and find the first server that
>> accepts" when you can just setup the server to act as an auth client to
>> one of the three servers you have access to?
>> Is it just that you want a gisty Exim configuration? ;-)
>
> - None of those MTAs support SMTP AUTH.
>     (it's a broken way to do things, but that's the way
>     it is for the moment)
> - Each MTA is owned by a different ISP, they reject
>     non customer source
> - I am sysadmin for two of them, but I dont want to change
>     an infrasctructure element just for my case, and must refer
>     to hierarchy if I ever want to change those server setup.
> - CPU cycles are cheap, for me :-P

I would be tempted to find some other method of detecting which server
should be used at any one time. Perhaps by using ${readfile} to check
the contents of /etc/resolv.conf? That's assuming you use DHCP at each
of these locations, and the resolv.conf is different at each of them?

--
Mike Cardwell - IT Consultant and LAMP developer
Cardwell IT Ltd. (UK Reg'd Company #06920226) http://cardwellit.com/