Re: [exim-dev] Exim documentation

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Andreas Metzler
To: exim-dev, John Horne
Betreff: Re: [exim-dev] Exim documentation
Hello John,

I am not involved in the actual writing of code for exim, I am just
following the list since I am part of the team packaging it for Debian
Linux. I thank you for the offer anyway, writing good technical
documentation is a difficult task.

The project is rather quiet currently, last commit to CVS happened in
July. I guess things will speed up after the summer hiatus.

I think I can answer some of your questions:

On 2009-08-30 John Horne <john.horne@???> wrote:
[...]
> One of the problems I had when helping Philip was that I had to note
> down, literally on paper, each of the mistakes I found, and then type
> them into a message which got sent off to Philip. He then updated the
> actual docs. To me this was duplication of work, and I would hope that
> it would now be possible to update the docs directly (something similar
> to using CVS to update source code?).

exim's source code and docs is kept in CVS nowadays, see
http://wiki.exim.org/EximDevelopment for the details.

> I have no idea how the docs are handled (i.e. what software is used,
> etc), and it may well be that I need to dig through some of Philips last
> emails to see what happened.

[...]

The main documentation (spec and filter) lives in
exim-doc/doc-docbook/ and is built from xfpt files.
doc-docbook/HowItWorks.txt explains how to get from xfpt to txt, html,
etc. http://freshmeat.net/projects/xfpt

cu andreas
so grateful to you.'