Re: [exim] TLS certificate verification

Author: Andreas Metzler
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] TLS certificate verification
Jim Gottlieb <jimmy@???> wrote:
> I've been using a self-signed certificate for years, but I finally
> decided to install a "real" one. I bought it from Go Daddy,

[...]
> tls_verify_certificates = /opt/exim/certs/godaddy-bundle.cert

[...]
> When I test it from OS X's Mail.app, it tells me:
> "this certificate was signed by an unknown authority"

> When I first got this message, I realized I needed to install the Go
> Daddy cert bundle file (I don't know the official name) and so I did
> that and added the above tls_verify_certificates parameter. But I
> notice that cert file is not being read, even after a restart:

[...]

You are mistaking the point of tls_verify_certificates. If a *client*
connecting to exim presents a certificate, exim will verificate this
one against the list of trusted ones in tls_verify_certificates.

OTOH if the client (Mail.app) wants to verify the cert exim is
presenting to it, the client will need to have access to the ca-cert
used to sign exim's cert.

BTW is your server accessible from the internet? We could try and check
whether we could verify the cert if it was.

cu andreas

so grateful to you.'