Re: [exim] "Relaying not permitted" with Mailman.

Author: Bill Hayles
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] "Relaying not permitted" with Mailman.
Hi, Phil

On Wed, 19 Aug 2009 14:30:06 -0700 in message 20090819213006.GA51561@???,
from Phil Pennock <exim-users@???> received here at 20/08/2009 07:24:54
It was said:

> On 2009-08-19 at 17:52 +0200, Bill Hayles wrote:
> > > hostlist relay_from_hosts = 127.0.0.1 : 172.26.0.2 : ....
>
> If you use @[] instead of enumerating local IPs manually, then you'll
> pick up on all the local IP addresses, including the IPv6 ones.

Thanks for the tip. I'll do that.

> > MAILMAN_SMTPHOST
> >
> > I had this set to "localhost" rather than "local". Just a typo (probably
> > typed "localhost" wi8thout thinking) but a significant one.
>
> Using localhost should have worked, because Exim should have accepted
> the mail because it's in relay_from_hosts.
>
> However, if /etc/hosts has ::1 as a valid IP for localhost, and places
> it first so that IPv6 will be used by default, then that would explain
> your problem. Even without IPv6 routing, ::1 will be accessible and
> mailman might have tried that, and then Exim would reject it.

This is my /etc/hosts. I haven't altered it in any way. I don't understand
the 127.0.0.2 entry; 172.26.0.14 is the fixed IP of the Exim / Mailman
computer on the LAN.

#
# hosts         This file describes a number of hostname-to-address
#               mappings for the TCP/IP subsystem.  It is mostly
#               used at boot time, when no name servers are running.
#               On small systems, this file can be used instead of a
#               "named" name server.
# Syntax:
#
# IP-Address  Full-Qualified-Hostname  Short-Hostname
#

127.0.0.1       localhost

# special IPv6 addresses
::1             localhost ipv6-localhost ipv6-loopback

fe00::0         ipv6-localnet

ff00::0         ipv6-mcastprefix
ff02::1         ipv6-allnodes
ff02::2         ipv6-allrouters
ff02::3         ipv6-allhosts
127.0.0.2       craybox.com craybox
172.26.0.14     craybox.com craybox

--
'Tis far better to have snipped too much than to never
have snipped at all. -- (author unknown)