Re: [exim] "Relaying not permitted" with Mailman.

Autor: Phil Pennock
A: Bill Hayles
CC: Exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] "Relaying not permitted" with Mailman.
On 2009-08-19 at 17:52 +0200, Bill Hayles wrote:
> > hostlist relay_from_hosts = 127.0.0.1 : 172.26.0.2 : ....

If you use @[] instead of enumerating local IPs manually, then you'll
pick up on all the local IP addresses, including the IPv6 ones.

> MAILMAN_SMTPHOST
>
> I had this set to "localhost" rather than "local". Just a typo (probably
> typed "localhost" wi8thout thinking) but a significant one.

Using localhost should have worked, because Exim should have accepted
the mail because it's in relay_from_hosts.

However, if /etc/hosts has ::1 as a valid IP for localhost, and places
it first so that IPv6 will be used by default, then that would explain
your problem. Even without IPv6 routing, ::1 will be accessible and
mailman might have tried that, and then Exim would reject it.

> Changing that has put (as far as I can see) everything right.

You've switched from SMTP delivery to local binary-as-injector delivery.
It works, but it doesn't explain what was wrong before.

-Phil