Re: [exim] Callout lockfile not writable

Author: Morten W. Petersen
To: Jeremy Harris
CC: exim-users @ exim. org
Subject: Re: [exim] Callout lockfile not writable
Jeremy Harris skrev:
> Morten W. Petersen wrote:
>> Jeremy Harris skrev:

>>> Sure, several ways. But, why not just do the DB lookup from Exim?
>>>
>>> http://exim.org/exim-html-4.69/doc/html/spec_html/ch09.html
>>>

>> Right, that's a useful pointer. :)
>>
>> But, this Exim instance is in the middle of two mail servers; it
>> processes
>> email and weeds out the spam.
>>
>> So I need to ask the final destination whether it accepts the email
>> address,
>> and if so, store it in a local database and tell Exim somehow that the
>> recipient was accepted. Like callout, but using a more .. "flexible"
>> storage mechanism.
>>
>> Could you point me to a relevant chapter(s) to do just that?
>
> Same place :-) In a lookup, you can do any DB transaction -
> insert, select, delete. So do your callout, then do your DB manipulation
> based on the results.

OK. I get that you can connect to databases using Exim, but I don't
quite see how the callout can be done. We can't use Exim's callout
as the callout database there has file locking issues. And we don't
have access to the final receiving mail server, the final receiving
mail server can be queried via RCTP TO however.

Is it possible to plug in some external program which can deal
with the entire accept/reject process based on RCTP TO?

-Morten

--
Morten W. Petersen
Manager