Re: [exim] "Can't assign requested address" on outgoing emai…

Top Pagina
Auteur: Ted Cooper
Aan: exim-users
Onderwerp: Re: [exim] "Can't assign requested address" on outgoing email.
On Sat, 2009-08-08 at 15:49 -0400, Grant Peel wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> All of a sudden, for no reason I can find, I am unable to send to some
> domains. I am getting errors like this. I am trying to figure out how to
> troubleshoot the error message:
>
> "Can't Assign requested address"
>
> 2009-08-07 15:49:54 1MZVRp-000Mpn-Fp <= sims@this server.com
> H=d221-76-81.commercial.cgocable.net (minePC) [216.221.76.81]
> I=[ip.of.this.server]:25 P=esmtpa A=login:sims@??? S=42381
> id=2BD0634A21604819A82AF78279D8ABE1@minePC T="Re: Something" from
> <sims@???> for THood@???
> 2009-08-07 15:49:55 1MZVRp-000Mpn-Fp sbpartners.ca.s7a1.psmtp.com
> [64.18.6.14] Can't assign requested address
>
> I have my exim setup so that authenticated user's (A=login) is sent from
> thier own IP (each domain on the server have a public IP). This has worked
> very well until now.
>
> In this case, is the 'Can't assign.." refering to the ip of the sending
> server or the receiving server?

Sounds a lot like you're using "interface" on your outbound smtp router
but that the interface you have assigned is no longer valid. If this
isn't the case then exim has decided to latch onto the first interface
it can find and for some odd reason it is unable to bind the address it
found.

Basically, double check your networking settings are 100% and then maybe
restart exim.

Another possibility might be that your server is being resource
exhausted somehow - maybe a worm or a slow DoS using up all your
sockets.

Having made the log file entry into complete nonsense makes it very hard
to figure out which way the mail is trying to go or where it might have
pulled that IP address. I also very much doubt that you own server.com
or server.ca. There are domains set aside for such purposes -
example.(com|net|org).
Please read http://wiki.exim.org/DontObfuscate

--
The Exim manual - http://docs.exim.org