Re: [exim] MsExchange ---> Exim

Top Pagina
Auteur: Renaud Allard
Aan: Paweł Ch.
CC: exim-users
Onderwerp: Re: [exim] MsExchange ---> Exim

Paweł Ch. wrote:
> Hello,
> I want to _change_ MsExchange to Exim in my corporation. I have 150 users in
> my network. They work in Outlook 2003. We are using Active Directory to
> authentification. Could you tell me what is the consequencies of making that
> change.
>
> Especialy I would like to know:
> 1. Is Exim cooperate with Active Directory or eDirectory? Anybody use Exim
> with AD or eDirectory?

Yes, exim supports ldap lookups and kerberos authentication with a
little bit of tweaking. I could not help you much with this as I don't
own such a system, although I did it in the past.

> 2. I know that communication between Exchange and Outlook is with MAPI
> protocol. Does Exchange use the MAPI protocol?

Exchange indeed uses the MAPI protocol, exim does not.

> 3. If 2 is no, Is Exim POP or IMAP server? I would like to use POP or IMAP
> protocol instead MAPI.

2 is yes, but I suspect a typo. So exim does not support imap or pop.
You will have to use such a server (like dovecot).

> 4. Is this possible that Exim has a "Outlook calendar" feature and other
> "Outlook like feature".

Exim has no "outook features". If you want calendaring, you should use
an application for calendars.

> 5. Does Exim support TLS, SSL?

Of course

> 6. Does Exim support acces via http to mail box?

No, you will have to use another app for this, like squirrelmail,
hastymail or the likes.

Like Graeme said, exim is not a replacement for exchange, it is "only" a
MTA. It is highly probably that you will want to use a fully featured
groupware with paying features like zimbra, scalix, openxchange. Most of
the time, if you want tight integration with outlook, you will have to
buy connector modules.