Re: [exim] Set domain name in from header

Author: Heiko Schlittermann
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Set domain name in from header
Hi,

Sven Richter <sveri80@???> (Do 23 Jul 2009 13:52:58 CEST):
> Hi all,
>
> i am fairly new to exim and MTAs in general.
> I try to set up exim on my domain sveri.de
> which is hosted by server company.
> The servers origin name is: t1842.greatnet.de
>
> So i set up exim and it works really well and
> does all i need so far, but one thing.
> Everytime i send a mail i get the origin name
> in my mail header:
> Sven Richter <sveri@???>
>
> Instead i want it to be sveri@???
> I googled and read a whole load of docs, of course
> not all and i think i set up everything fine.
>
> The hostname on my machine shows sveri.de too.
>
> I even tried setting the file /etc/email-adresses
> to use sveri@??? as mail adress, but that wont
> work too.
>
> I am really stuck right now, there as this seems to
> be to simple, cause i couldnt find anything relating
> to my problem an the internet. Or i am just to blind.

Do you send the mails *via* your t1842 or *from* your t1842?
What client do you use?

What header you're talking about? The "From: "-line? Some other line
in your header (Sender, Return-Path, From_¹, Envelope-From, ...)

Exim appends the $primary_hostname, if it's missing the domain. But
this should happen only for locally generated mails. Mails coming from
other systems should not be fixed, since exim should not accept these
messages at all.

But if you're using some kind of authentication (sending *via* your exim
box), it's a possible trap to have somewhere switched on the submission
mode. This submission is able to happily rewrite your sender address.

What does `` exim -be '$primary_hostname' '' show?

¹) From followed by a space, as used in MBOX formatted mailbox files.

    Best regards from Dresden/Germany
    Viele Grüße aus Dresden
    Heiko Schlittermann
 Heiko Schlittermann HS12-RIPE -----------------------------------------
 gnupg encrypted messages are welcome - key ID: 48D0359B ---------------
 gnupg fingerprint: 3061 CFBF 2D88 F034 E8D2  7E92 EE4E AC98 48D0 359B -