Re: [exim] Pass mail to backup host if first delivery attemp…

Author: Ted Cooper
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Pass mail to backup host if first delivery attempt fails
Darren Honeyball wrote:
> I have a requirement to run my "primary" mail servers spools from
> ramdisk, and what I'd like to do it this:
>
> For outbound mail I'd like to try the dnslookup router for the first
> attempt as usual, if for any reason this fails I'd like to pass those
> messages off to some "secondary" servers which are more resilient for
> processing.
>
> fallback_hosts doesnt appear to be what I need, so looking for
> clues/examples on how to achieve this.

Unless you're doing something really strange, fallback_hosts is what you
are after.

"If Exim is unable to deliver to any of the hosts for a particular
address, and the errors are not permanent rejections, the address is put
on a separate transport queue with its host list replaced by the
fallback hosts, .."

The FAQ about this question -
http://wiki.exim.org/FAQ/Delivery/Q0618

Transport fallback_hosts
http://docs.exim.org/current/spec_html/ch30.html#id604171
which can be overidden by router fallback_hosts
http://docs.exim.org/current/spec_html/ch15.html#id561973

The primary server should only keep the email long enough to temporarily
fail at each MX host listed for the domain before passing it on to the
fallback_hosts in order.

--
The Exim manual - http://docs.exim.org