Re: [exim] re try time not reached for any host after a long…

Author: Ted Cooper
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] re try time not reached for any host after a long failure period
dwessell wrote:
> I have a machine running exim4 in my network. It has a public IP, and a
> private IP. It generates email from a VOIP system, and relays it to an
> exchange server in the network.
>
> However, no emails go out.. They all have the error message:
>
> retry time not reached for any host after a long failure period
>
> . I can ping the mail server. I can send mail via telnet. Can someone point
> me in the right direction?

From the name you give exim, it sounds like you're using a Dedian based
distribution. If you need help specific to configuration of
exim4-daemon-* you are best off using the information in
/usr/share/doc/exim4-base/README.Debian.gz

If you're not using the packaged version, or know how to manually
configure exim you could probably look into the following:

Figure out where exim is actually trying to send the email and how it is
trying to deliver it (probably via the internet and published MX records)
exim -bt address@???

Run a delivery of one of the messages in debug mode (this will tell you
every error message and how it does everything, you just have to be able
to interpret it)
exim -d+all -M message-id

Do a full SMTP conversation with the exchange box to make sure it is
actually accepting mail from the exim ip address - a simple telnet only
tells you there is TCP capability from whatever user you're logged in as
on the default outgoing interface.

Make sure that exim is using the correct interface to send the email.
Sending from a public IP address to a private IP address will mean the
target machine will return the packets via its default gateway and
perhaps get munged, dropped or NAT'd on the way.

--
The exim manual - http://docs.exim.org