Re: [exim] Invalid address accepted?

Author: John Horne
To: Exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] Invalid address accepted?
On Wed, 2009-07-08 at 16:57 -0700, Jeroen van Aart wrote:
> John Horne wrote:
> > I noticed a frozen bounce in our mail queue for a message which seems to
> > have come from (envelope sender)
> > '4526433.tHjd3LnMP.@pcrm.unikorea.go.kr'.
> >
> > As far as I can tell, the '.@' part of the address is invalid according
> > to RFC2822. So why did exim accept it if it is syntactically invalid?
>
> You can find out in the manual, http://www.exim.org/index.html, how to tell exim to
> refuse non existing addresses and/or syntactically incorrect addresses.

Yes, I realise that but my question is why accept an invalid address in
the first place? If I send a message with the address
'fred@@example.com' exim rejects it with a 'domain missing or malformed'
error. That isn't something I have configured, it is exim recognising an
invalid address. So why not do the same with '.@'?

John.

John Horne, University of Plymouth, UK  Tel: +44 (0)1752 587287
E-mail: John.Horne@???       Fax: +44 (0)1752 587001