Re: [pcre-dev] PCRE suggestion

Author: Philip Hazel
To: xgl001
CC: pcre-dev
Subject: Re: [pcre-dev] PCRE suggestion
On Tue, 7 Jul 2009, xgl001 wrote:

> I have a suggestion related to the Posix interface to add an optional
> value for UnGreedy. Below I've suggested using "REG_X_UNGREEDY" with
> the "_X_" implying it's non-standard.

When I first implemented the Posix interface, I intended to keep it
strictly standard, but I was persuaded later to add REG_DOTALL and
REG_UTF8, which are non-standard. So I suppose I cannot really argue
against REG_UNGREEDY, and I don't think we need the _X_ because we
already have two non-standard options.

Thank you for your contribution. I am expecting to look at the code of
PCRE again in a month or two, and I will check out your patch at that
time.

> If this email is not a good method to send this content then please
> let me know what forum or other method is best to communicate. The
> PCRE bug tracker at exim.org did not seem appropriate for mentioning
> non-bugs.

In fact, people do use Bugzilla sometimes. You can mark your entry with
severity "wishlist". However, posting to this list is also OK.

> If desired, I can also supply MAK file and some information for
> building PCRE as a native Windows DLL using Microsoft's Visual C++
> (version 6). If not desired by your group, I will try to find another
> way of documenting that.

I am not a Windows user. The Windows users in this group seem happy with
the existing CMake or "configure" build schemes, but perhaps they do not
use Visual C++ v6. I would be happy to add your information to my
NON-UNIX-USE file if people think it would be useful.

Anybody else on the list like to comment on this?

Philip

--
Philip Hazel