Re: [exim] Exim not accepting subaddress (plus style) anymor…

Author: Phil Pennock
To: Alex Carver
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim not accepting subaddress (plus style) anymore
On 2009-07-06 at 08:06 -0700, Alex Carver wrote:
> I was doing a little physical maintenance to my server this weekend
> (dust removal, wire cleanup). When I rebooted the machine, it no
> longer receives mail using subaddress (plus) notation when it was
> working fine before.

This suggests that you were running with a configuration file different
from the one you're using post-reboot; when Exim handles incoming mail,
it re-reads the config so this is a case of different binaries using
different paths. Perhaps some boot-time start-up script auto-generated
a config file in a different place from the one you normally use and
that was preferentially used? At least one OS patches Exim to have a
list of config files to try to use.

> I can still receive mail as just user@mydomain but when I try
> user+keyword@mydomain I receive a bounceback:
>
> Recipient address rejected: User unknown in virtual alias table
>
> At first I was getting 550 Unrouteable address but I added the
> following to the userforward section of the config file:
>
> local_part_suffix = +* local_part_suffix_optional
>
> And now I get the User unknown error.
>
> I'm also using procmail so the router is procmail and the transport is
> procmail_pipe but my procmail router also contains the same
> local_part_suffix directives.
>
> I know I'm missing something simple but I can't for the life of me
> think of what it is now.
>
> Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

The procmail Router probably has no_verify on it, so that it's not used
during address verification and a later Router, typically named
"localuser", is relied upon for that.

Whichever is the first Router to *not* have no_verify on it, which
handles the given address, is the one which also needs
local_part_suffix/local_part_suffix_optional.

-Phil