Re: [exim] blocking on failure of reverse_host_lookup

Author: Mike Cardwell
To: Exim Users List
Subject: Re: [exim] blocking on failure of reverse_host_lookup
Ian P. Christian wrote:

> I though I'd seen people post on the list about blocking outright on
> reverse_host_lookup

What you most likely saw was the same single person repeatedly spouting
it as the solution to all spam problems in just about every thread
vaguely related to spam or dns.

> - however having implemented this yesterday, it
> seems like it quite possibly did block the occasional email. Before
> yesterday, it was just used as part of a scoring system.
>
> What are peoples thoughts on this?

You'll lose legitimate email if you outright block on it. It *is* an
indicator of spaminess though so it's worth scoring on. The default
score that is given by SpamAssassin for RDNS_NONE is a measily 0.1, but
then they *do* run automated tests against large amounts of ham and spam
in order to come up with carefully calculated scores, so I guess there's
something in that low score. I personally pushed the scoring up from 0.1
to 0.7 though.

--
Mike Cardwell - IT Consultant and LAMP developer
Cardwell IT Ltd. (UK Reg'd Company #06920226) http://cardwellit.com/