Re: [exim] Slow mail sending from Windows XP

Author: Heiko Schlittermann
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Slow mail sending from Windows XP
Jonathan Knight <j.knight@???> (Mi 01 Jul 2009 11:57:37 CEST):

> We've just noticed that sending email from Windows XP boxes was going
> slow. There was a three second delay on connecting to exim before the
> welcome banner appeared.
>
> The problem seems to be that Windows XP firewall now quietly drops
> RFC1413 requests (or at least not answer them very quickly) whereas it
> used to reject them.
>
> I've had to put "rfc1413_hosts=!*" into my config files to get the speed
> back up. The default for this option is to test every host.

rfc1413_hosts =
(empty value) would have done the same, but probably cheaper.
The spec recommends setting the assiciated rfc1413_query_timeout to 0s,
since this skips ident callouts at all.

    Best regards from Dresden/Germany
    Viele Grüße aus Dresden
    Heiko Schlittermann
 Heiko Schlittermann HS12-RIPE -----------------------------------------
 gnupg encrypted messages are welcome - key ID: 48D0359B ---------------
 gnupg fingerprint: 3061 CFBF 2D88 F034 E8D2  7E92 EE4E AC98 48D0 359B -