Re: [exim] Exim before-queue filtering?

Author: Chris Wilson
To: Tomasz Chmielewski
CC: exim users, W B Hacker
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim before-queue filtering?
Hi Tomasz,

On Wed, 1 Jul 2009, Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:

>>> Perhaps I'm thinking too much in a Postfix way, but I'm unable to
>>> produce a working setup to pass the message to amavis _before_ it's
>>> accepted by Exim.
>>
>> Look at examples on acl_smtp_data wherein mime checking is done and messages are
>> handed-off to ClamAV, Kaspersky, F-prot, Sophos, and/or SpamAssassin, their
>> 'opinion' awaited, then the messages either passed clean, passed with 'demerits'
>> and potential quarantine, or rejected as malware / spam.
>
> "av_scanner = clamd:..." is passing through a virus scanner, clamd in
> this case. It has lots of other virus scanners, but no amavis option.
>
> The only thing which comes close is "cmdline", but amavis can be set up
> on a different host, so it's also not this.

But you don't have to run Amavis on a different host, you can run it on
the same host. Or you can use a network client like the amavis equivalent
of spamc to have amavis scan the email remotely. You may need to write
one if it doesn't exist already. It only has to attempt to send the
messaage by SMTP to Amavis and return an error if Amavis refuses the
message.

Cheers, Chris.
--