Re: [exim] Clearing out old spool files

Top Pagina
Auteur: John Horne
Aan: Exim users
Onderwerp: Re: [exim] Clearing out old spool files
On Wed, 2009-07-01 at 00:03 +0200, Heiko Schlittermann wrote:
> John Horne <john.horne@???> (Di 30 Jun 2009 18:39:53 CEST):
> > Hello,
> >
> > We are running exim 4.69 on CentOS 5.3, and I have been looking through
> > the '/var/spool/exim/input' and '/var/spool/exim/msglog' directories on
> > one of our mailhubs and can see some quite old files in there (the
> > oldest was from 2007).
>
> AFAIK: The msglog is not used by exim it all (except writing to the
> msglog as long as the message is in transit, the same information can be
> found in the mainlog).
>
> The old spool files (2 per message (-H and -D)) can be removed too. (There
> is no information stored somewhere else.)
>
> Better than using find is using `expick' and exim itself. (IMHO part of the exim
> package). Consult it's man page for information about exipick and pass
> its output to `exim -Mrm'.

No, exipick works on the mail queue. The files I found were not
associated with any existing message (I certainly haven't had a message
waiting in the queue since 2007!).

I suspect the files had been dumped there by exim in the past when it
had either stopped, paniced or crashed (although I don't remember any
actual crashes). So the original message was either delivered on, or
resent (hence causing a new message ID, new file names, etc), but the
previous spool files were just left behind.

John.

John Horne, University of Plymouth, UK  Tel: +44 (0)1752 587287
E-mail: John.Horne@???       Fax: +44 (0)1752 587001