Re: [exim] greylisting

Author: Chris Wilson
To: Heiko Schlittermann
CC: exim-users, Jaco Kroon
Subject: Re: [exim] greylisting
Hi all,

On Sat, 27 Jun 2009, Heiko Schlittermann wrote:

> Dmitry Samersoff <dms@???> (Sa 27 Jun 2009 19:00:13 CEST):
>>
>> Much more often problem is clusters: lots of SMTP clusters can resend
>> e-mail from another IP address. Fortunately most of them is not
>> spammers. I think a) the problem should be mentioned in this chapter
>> b) it's better to whitelist such clusters rather then exclude sender IP
>> from hash calculation.

It's not exactly a solution, but Jaco Kroon in South Africa is running an
RBL which advertises hosts that pass greylisting. The big server farms are
all on it, all of their servers, and new ones get added pretty quickly.
We're using it effectively share our greylist database with him, by
contributing our database to his RBL as well.

http://jkroon.blogs.uls.co.za/it/email/spam/getting-a-grip-on-greylisting

> It's perl based as exim "plugin", but limited to a single host.

I do greylisting in pure exim + mysql. You can see how in my spam
presentation at www.exim-new-users.co.uk, although the site seems to be
down at the moment so I can't give you a link. I've also updated my config
a bit since then, especially to integrate with what Jaco is doing.

Cheers, Chris.
--