Re: [exim] Does the catchall work?

Author: Nigel Metheringham
To: chrille112
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Does the catchall work?

On 25 Jun 2009, at 06:41, chrille112 wrote:

> I'm trying to completely remove all e-mails that are not addressed
> to a valid
> local user. I get a whole lot of spam to my domain, and as it is
> configured
> now - all emails are bounced back to spammer.
>
> I have added a catchall of /dev/null in vexim, and exim main log
> looks like
> this:
> 2009-06-25 07:31:23 1MJhYN-0006Ct-DH => /dev/null <blah@???>
> R=virtual_domains_catchall T=**bypassed**
>
> When I send mail to domain I don't get a bounce. Does that mean that
> my
> solution worked?

Yes - the transport is bypassed because it would just throw away the
mail.

But why are you doing this - you are now accepting mail (costing you
bandwidth, and potentially spam/virus scanning requirements) which you
throw away, making a black hole in a mail system (always a bad
thing). Reject the stuff at SMTP time and make it the problem of the
sending system.

    Nigel.
--
[ Nigel Metheringham             Nigel.Metheringham@??? ]