Re: [exim] Randomised delivery

Página Principal
Apagar esta mensagem
Responder a esta mensagem
Autor: Jethro R Binks
Para: exim-users
Assunto: Re: [exim] Randomised delivery
On Mon, 15 Jun 2009, Oli wrote:

> I have an interesting problem delivering large quantities of email to
> Hotmail and related addresses from Mailman. It seems like the sort of
> thing which would already have been solved but I can't spot it in the
> manuals.
>
> The problem comes from Exim being rather clever at keeping track of
> which hosts on a huge list of deliveries to use: it organises the
> deliveries in the best order to minimise the number of connections.
>
> What happens then is Hotmail will start 'temporarily' blocking every
> time I swamp it and it can take several days for deliveries to complete.
>
> The best I seem to be able to do it reduce the number of parallel
> deliveries, though what I'd really like to do is totally randomise the
> delivery pattern.
>
> The transport config below seems to be the best I can come up with from
> the docs, but I'm hoping there's something I've missed - has anyone else
> here tried this to Hotmail?

Not answering your question directly, but to make your life a bit easier
and allow more precise testing, what you might do is be more selective in
your router:

## Throttled forward to MX servers of arbitrary (non-local non-relay) domains
## This might not actually do any good, but it illustrates the idea
remote_domains_throttled:
driver = dnslookup
domains = +throttled_domains
transport = remote_smtp_remote_throttled

Then in the transport:

# This one is to certain off-campus hosts
remote_smtp_remote_throttled:
driver = smtp
connection_max_messages = 5
serialize_hosts = *

and populate +throttled_domains with suitable recipient domains (somewhat
experimentally, I have Yahoo and BTInternet domains in there).

Not sure you should need to be fiddling with the *_timeout options
though...

Jethro.