Re: [exim] (OT) Using Routing, Maildir and MBOX for email ba…

Inizio della pagina
Autore: W B Hacker
To: exim users
Oggetto: Re: [exim] (OT) Using Routing, Maildir and MBOX for email backups
My BSD wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Jun 2009 00:48:06 +0800
> W B Hacker <wbh@???> wrote:

>> Good explanation. The 'dot', BTW, while in both the Maildir & Maildir+ usage, is
>> not an absolute requirement for Dovecot, and one of the things we like about
>> that IMAPD. ...
>
> Thanks Bill!
>
> Using Dovecot since 99.x and never knew that.
>
> Slowly changing hierarchies to "FS" by hand -- It'd be
> nice if there was a script to automate it.
>
> Regards.

Many useful things come of that 'feature' beside making hard/soft links and
scripted 'stuff' more manageable:

- making it easier to not trash a 'Prayer' Webmail preferences file (stored in
IMAP structure).

- insuring that the user's 'Sent' and 'Suspects' folders (created with 'unseen'
routers) IS visible.

Our mailstore is defined per-user in several PostgreSQL fields, from RAID array
mountpoint selection on down to whether mbox, maildir, or just a placeholder,
(used for dsearch AWL) - each concatenated as required in router/transport set
SELECT calls.

CAVEAT: *Very* flexible, but not very efficient.

Dovecot is also very friendly to SQL in that regard.

Bill