Re: [exim] Using reverse_host_lookup with user defined IP ad…

Páxina inicial
Borrar esta mensaxe
Responder a esta mensaxe
Autor: W B Hacker
Para: exim users
Asunto: Re: [exim] Using reverse_host_lookup with user defined IP address
Ian P. Christian wrote:
> 2009/6/9 W B Hacker <wbh@???>:
>>> verify = reverse_host_lookup/$acl_c5
>>>
>> Is the 'defined IP address in acl_c5 expected to:
>>
>> - be the IP of a specific resolver (and no other) to be *used* for lookups?
>> - hold a selected IP to be (re) validated via whatever resolvers are available?
>
> This was perhaps vague. I meant the 2nd option. I wish to check that
> an IP (pulled out from Received headers by a perl sub, mail is being
> received via Postini's anti spam service which proxies SMTP -
> unfortunately that's the only way to get the real senders IP) is
> 'valid'.
>
> I can of course write another perl method to do the check,

In the *particular* case you cite - as you are already in perl, I think that
would be less problematic / easier to keep in its box.

NB: My first pref would be to see if Postini could make the same sort of check
for you 'up front' that you want Exim to do after-the-fact, then either pass
along the result or take the action desired in near-real-time.

Second pref is to do whatever Postini is doing, but within Exim...

Understood that neither may be within your reach...

:-(

> it just
> seems to me that it wold be sensible for reverse_host_lookup to do it.
> But.... It seems I'm the first person to ask for it, so perhaps not
> :)

I can see a general-pupose value in being able to access Exim's vetting process,
'on demand', if only 'coz said process already exists, and is proven to be good
at sorting out what works and does not work.

IOW - new use for an existing wheel..

... and I *think* it can be done - just not in the manner so-far illustrated.

NB: We 'sometimes' do the exact opposite - *prevent* Exim doing that sort of
vetting and work with the IP in a different manner.

Now if I can just remember what the code we wanted to avoid looked like (hosts?
hostlist?) ....

Bill