Re: [exim] How do I force a certain "MAIL FROM" address?

Author: Phil Pennock
To: Harold J. Ballinger
CC: Exim-users@exim.org
Subject: Re: [exim] How do I force a certain "MAIL FROM" address?
On 2009-06-04 at 17:17 -0400, Harold J. Ballinger wrote:
> My /var/spool/exim4/msglog is filling up with messages similar to:
>
> 2009-06-04 16:02:30 it@??? <IT@???> R=dnslookup T=remote_smtp: SMTP error from remote mailer after MAIL FROM:<hobbit@> SIZE=1773: host hhcgvl-msbs01.hhc.int [10.10.10.21]: 501 5.5.4 Invalid Address
> Process failed (1) when writing error message to hobbit@ (frozen)

You're sending "unqualified" addresses. You need to look into the
"qualify_domain" setting.

> It appears to me that the problem is with the "MAIL FROM" address.
>
> I have tried modifying my /etc/email-addresses with:
>
> hobbit: monitor@???
> root: hballinger@???
> hobbit@: monitor@???
> hobbit@localhost: monitor@???

Those probably only affect inbound mail (assuming that there's a
redirect router referencing that file).

> I have also tried modifying /etc/exim4/exim4.conf.conf with:
>
> begin rewrite
> hobbit@ monitor@??? s
> Hobbit@ monitor@??? s
> hobbit monitor@??? F
> Hobbit monitor@??? F

's' is for the "Sender:" header; I note that you don't have F combined
with "hobbit@" there. Setting qualify_domain would put something after
the @ too. "exim -brw" is your assistant here.

Another approach is errors_to on the Router which handles the recipient.

-Phil