Re: [exim] Noting SMTP completion in a database / Query on S…

Author: Oli
To: W B Hacker
CC: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] Noting SMTP completion in a database / Query on SMTPsuccess
<snip>

> Haven't worked with Mailman in years, but AFAIK, the differences between Mailman
> and Ecartis *in this area* are, or can be made to be, insignificant.
>
> - First - successful delivery should be far, far, more common than failure, so
> the default of getting some form of DSN on fail is all we've needed UNLESS
> someone comlained of a non-receipt and we had to check logs to demonstrate
> otherwise (even less common).
>
> + Exim: Logs the '250 ok' et al 'at least' with log_selector = +all (or a bit
> less verbosity - check what you need to turn on and off..)
>
> + Ecartis: Logs that also, but is easier to parse for a given MLM run, as it
> doesn't do 'other' smtp sessions.
>
> ? Mailman, AFAIK, can do either invocation of an smtp binary OR the standard
> smtp-connection Ecartis does.
>
> So parsing logfiles can work, and they may not need to be *Exim's* log files,
> but rather those of the MLM - perhaps even the 'connector' between them - see below.
>
> Absent cutting into any of the source code, there may be a way to use 'Tee' (not
> 'tee'), piping what is destined for *any one of* the Exim/Mailman/Ecartis log
> files through a grep expression, with the wanted subset siphoned off for use in
> generating a report.
>
> At the end of the day, it is probably less risk to simply set a start and end
> range and run an external parser against existing logs.
>
> JFWIW, the 'outbound' side of an MLM need not run through the same smtpd as the
> incoming posts and admin do. That opens the possibility of having whatever IS
> used for delivery doing highly customized logging from the outset.
>

> HTH,
>
> Bill

Thanks for the pointers :-)

I was hoping to pick up on Exim's final 'delivery complete' message for
each address, so as to unambiguously set flags to say the customer
(Well, their mail server) received the message. Mailman will happily
queue up all the messages to Exim without this meaning they've gone, and
it can take several days of retries and bouncing before one can
guarantee that the set ALLCUSTOMERS-CUSTOMERSINBOUNCETABLE =
SUCCESSCUSTOMERS, and this would be a manual process.

Looks like it's log parsing for me then, which is a shame (Data not
quite live and workload quite heavy and enterprise-y...), but will work.

Thanks again for your help.

Cheers,
-Oli

--
Oli Comber
Systems Developer

4-10 Barttelot Rd Horsham West Sussex RH12 1DQ
M: +44 (0)77255 82405 T: +44 (0)870 881 5097 F: +44 (0)870 116 0793

3aIT Limited is a company registered in England and Wales.
CoReg: 3866698 VATReg: 771388600

Visit www.3aIT.co.uk for Design, Systems, Support

Disclaimer:
The information contained within this email is confidential and may be
legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. If you are
not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying or distribution of
this email is prohibited and may be unlawful. The content of this email
represents the views of the individual and not necessarily 3aIT Limited.
3aIT Limited reserves the right to monitor the content of all emails in
accordance with lawful business practice. Whilst every effort is made to
ensure that attachments are free from computer viruses before
transmission, 3aIT Limited does not accept any liability in respect of
any virus that is not detected.
3aIT Limited