Re: [exim] Blocking Authenticated Exim user whose ip address…

Author: normallybaffled
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Blocking Authenticated Exim user whose ip address is in an RBL

You shoudl ordinarily expect that travelers, WiFi users, adsl, dsl,
residantial
dial-up WILL be on IP-blocks not intended for MTA use AND that fact alone
doesn't mean they should be denied secure login if they are otherwse
bona-fide
members of your user community. (one DOES require secure UID:PWD match?)

Quite the reverse - 'responsible' connectivity ISP may volunteer their
dynamic
pools to an RBL as it can help shut-down WinZombie routes to the outside.
Hopefully they also intercept port 25 but NOT port 587.
<snip>

I hear you on responsible ISPs. Here is what I believe i have a problem
with:
When one of our users that "relays" mail thru one of our servers,
(connecting from a blacklisted ip address -ie in senderbase.org as POOR )
and the recipient is behind a Barracuda, we are finding that we (our mail
server addresses) are being blacklisted by Barracuda Central. Then we get
complaints from tons of users who can no longer send mail to anyone /any net
using a Barracuda. We have separate servers for bulk mailing clients and no
spam is allowed through our regular exim servers. We monitor our volumes and
stats like mother hens. we have thousands of mail users -all of them
legit-(we are strictly a corporate provider) so this is becoming quite an
issue as we host mail services for companies worldwide- most have their own
networks but some smaller accounts only have regular adsl with dynamic ip
provision. thoughts?
Bill