Re: [exim] acl black art help wanted

Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: W B Hacker
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: exim users
Aihe: Re: [exim] acl black art help wanted
Hill Ruyter wrote:

> [...]

Some confusion here with trimming....

Hacker sez one server, separated by the incoming interface_port.

Eiloart (or someone impersonating 'im) suggest two 'servers'.

We'd both tell you that can be two 'instances' on the same box, same IP,
different ports. Seperate IP are better if you have 'em, 'coz you can do R&D
test traffic w/o involving the outside world. Or even having a CAT5 plugged-in.

- One listening to 25 and handling 'incoming' traffic (outside world to 'local'
delivery), Another one listening on 587 to your own clients ONLY for 'local to
outside-world delivery (and some local).

See also 'acl_not_smtp' because any traffic originating from a 'shell' account
that sends by invoking a binary does not *have* an 'smtp' session - hence does
not go through the same 'phases' (connect, helo, mail-from, recpt-to, data).

EX: The 'Prayer' webmail daemon from U Cambridge operates this way, hence needs
access to an smtp 'sender' binary on-box. ISTR the 'Mailman' MLM also connects
this way - 'cross-box' without the full smtp session. If not, I'll be chastised
'shortly'.

*As either skips the 'acl_smtp_<whatever> chain, one 'may' need special rules in
acl_not_smtp, for virus-checking, size limiting, etc.*

The Webmail that is part of Webmin/Usermin, OTOH, can be on an unrelated box, as
it DOES run a 'normal' smtp session - same-box OR remote box. Likewise the
'Ecartis' MLM, which runs a normal smtp session even when on the same box as the
MTA it is working with.

Pros and cons to both approaches.

KISS until RATRUMP.

;-)